Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Color Me Rad 5k

So, if you're my Facebook friend (which I can't imagine anyone who reads this isn't), I'm sure you've seen the pictures from the "race" this past Saturday. My dear new friend (and Ph.D. student from the lab) Christina and I decided a little over a month ago to run the Color Me Rad 5K supporting the Blair E. Batson Children's Hospital here in Jackson. (This is the place where they cured an infant of HIV, folks!) As this was my 2nd 5k, and Christina's first, we decided to just do the Couch to 5K to prepare ourselves. And let me tell you guys, waking up at 6:30 AM, working 'til 5ish then having to have the energy to go run is difficult. But we did it, and Saturday came quickly. We drug my wonderful boyfriend, Mike, along (so he could take pictures, of course...), parked forever away, then put on our "tail-feathers" and sunglasses and got ready to go!


As we walked up, colored corn starch was flying everywhere, and excitement was in the air. Also, people. People everywhere. So, we eventually push our way to the start line and we're off!

We ran and ran, color flying everywhere, through some really pretty neighborhoods, and finally crossed through the hot pink finish line. It was a spectacularly fantastic experience!


Then, photographer Mike, took a million and one pictures.


So I'll close out for the evening by saying, that if you're looking for an incredibly fun race (as in, most of the people were walking) to participate in, look no further than the Color Me Rad 5K! 3.1 miles is definitely doable, and I promise, if I can run a 5K, absolutely anyone can. So get out there and run - the hardest steps are the ones out the door. And for one of my favorite running quotes, "No matter how fast you're going, you're always lapping the people on the couch."

Now, I've gotta get back to cleaning my room.....*sigh*

1 comment: