Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Little Green Dress

Ah, the Little Green Dress. It is somewhat of a legend in the Steadman household. It is the dress I wore on my first day of senior year at Ardmore High School, and I wore the very same dress for Freshman Orientation for Mississippi State University. Of course, as the college years have gone by, the scale has gone higher and higher - and I don't mean that it has creeped up. I can gain weight so quickly the stretch marks can't even keep up!  Over the past three years, when I would visit my parents in Ardmore, my mother would tell me "I want my daughter in the green dress back!" Since I am what some people (ahem, Sandie Steadman a.k.a. Mom, ahem) would call "hard-headed" I would take this negatively - instead of as encouragement, as I am sure it was meant - and normally a tear-filled fit would be thrown quickly after. Now, I shall show the picture of the green dress from the first day of school followed by the picture that has changed my life.


This second picture was definitely a wake up call if I've ever had one. It was taken on December 24, 2010 at my Nanny's house, with my extremely fit younger sister, and my extremely tall younger brother.  As we got home from Nanny's for Christmas Eve, I looked through the pictures on Mom's camera. At first glance, I wondered "Who is that fat girl with my shirt on?" Then it hit me. I was horrified! I, at that point, decided something absolutely had to be done. I hadn't stepped on a scale, nor worked out, since summer and I had no idea what I weighed. Of course, no one wants to be on a diet for Christmas day, so I decided I would give myself a few days to enjoy the holidays (and the candies that comes with it) and then it was time for food rehab! As I lay around the house for the next few days (we were snowed in! I still can't get over our white Christmas!) I noticed the Weight Watchers free sign-up deal. Then I saw Cecelia - a college student who lost 70 lbs! I thought "If she can do it, I can do it!" So I took the debit card, and signed up!

So, the purpose of this blog is to (hopefully) act as a way to rejoice and vent about my struggles in weight-loss. Also, I hope to post the stuff that works for me and encourage others who are trying to lose weight, too. No, I will not use this blog to tell you every bite of food I ate that day - that's what twitter is for right? I promise, I will try my darnedest not to bore anyone to death! And as a little side note, the reason the blog is named "Never a Size Six" is that, like it says, I will NEVER be a size six. It's something that I long ago came to terms with, and it no longer bothers me. At my smallest, (the summer between my junior and senior year) I was a size 10. Of course this will take some work, so come on over every once in a while and check out my progress! I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I do writing it!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you had a blog! This is awesome! I have my own blog, but mine is about nothing in particular and about everything in the world! :) All rolled into one! But I tell you what...I am going on this journey with you! Love you Casey Jean!

    ReplyDelete